Philosophy is a rich field that opens up all domains of the world, thought and society to critical examination, and this is reflected in the composition of the VU department of Philosophy. There are over 40 academic staff and approximately 40 internal and external PhD candidates in our department, which is characterized by small-scale teaching, the combination of broad expertise with specialized research and a strong international orientation. Philosophy’s contribution to contemporary issues is also of great importance to the department, as well as the role philosophy can play in reflecting on the nature and position of science in modern society.
Social engagement and cooperation
De afdeling filosofie werkt samen met academische, maatschappelijke en zakelijke partners:
- With VU researchers in CLUE+, the interfaculty VU research institute for Culture, History and Heritage, and with the Stevin Centre for History of Science and Humanities.
- With Dutch philosophers and the Research School of Philosophy.
- With virtually all other VU bachelor’s degree programmes for basic philosophical education, with the Political Sciences and Economics programmes for the PPE degree and with Neurosciences, Metamedica and Law in the interdisciplinary master’s tracks.
- With the University of Amsterdam in the Amsterdam Centre of Ancient Studies and Archaeology (ACASA).
- With Dasym in the Èthos centre for education, research and debates on social transformations.
- With the Dimence Group for mental health care, wellbeing and social services.
- With many other partners in the field of research and society.