Academic and personal advice

If you run into problems during your studies, or you need personal advice, then the VU and the Faculty of Humanities can provide you with assistance in a number of ways. If you have course-specific questions, you can always talk to your teachers.

General student advice
General student advice is organized both centrally and at faculty level, with the faculty study advisors and the student deans offering help on matters that go beyond course-specific questions. Study advisors can help you with questions about your degree programme, as well as with personal questions, and they can also offer  advice on study-related matters.

Study advisors assume that you also possess a sense of independence and feel responsible for your own success. After your first year, we expect to see you grow into a more independent and professional individual, which means that you will also be personally responsible for arranging a meeting with a study advisor if you run into any problems during your time at the university. There are various ways to get in touch with a study advisor, such as by visiting walk-in sessions or making an appointment. You can make an appointment with an academic advisor through VUnet.

Central Student Desk
The Central Student Desk can help you with practical questions. Once you are enrolled at the VU as a student, you can find all information about registration and your university fees on VUnet. You can also ask a question by filling in a form.

For more information about the Central Student Desk, please visit the main VU website.